Gary Kubiak addresses media on Monday
The only injury from Monday morning was to Tim Dobbins, who appeared to hurt his shoulder during 11-on-11 drills.
Head coach Gary Kubiak said it was an injury to Dobbins’ shoulder/back and they were having it looked at.
“We have some serious health situations, especially at linebacker,” Kubiak said.
Whitney Mercilus (hamstring) and Brooks Reed (knee) were both held out of practice on Monday morning. Mercilus strained his hamstring last week and Reed banged knees with Owen Daniels on Sunday morning. Meanwhile, Sam Montgomery, Cameron Collins and Evan Frierson are still missing.
“Well, my biggest concern is we’ve got 15 of them and I think seven of them are practicing,” Kubiak said of the linebackers. “That’s my biggest concern.”
On Monday, Brian Cushing did not participate during 11-on-11s with pads on as he did on Sunday but it looked like he did everything else.
Arian Foster (back, PUP), Montgomery (ankle), DeVier Posey (Achilles, PUP), Brennan Williams (knee), Adam Schiltz and Collins were all held out of practice on Monday.
Ready for games
DeAndre Hopkins has been impressive during training camp but he should get his first game action on Friday.
“That’s the next step for him,” Kubiak said. “I think probably the thing I’m most excited about is how well he’s kept up with what we’re doing. And we’ve thrown it all at him, worked as a starter, every rep and he’s handling himself very, very good.”
- The offense looked a little sluggish on Monday morning and Schaub wasn’t consistent but made some nice throws.
- Keshawn Martin had a rare drop. That’s worth noting because drops weren’t rare for Martin in his rookie season. He’s establishing himself as the clear No. 3 wideout.
- For the second straight day, J.J. Watt left the team portion of practice to work out individually on the side field. His elbow has been sore but the reigning Defensive Player of the Year claims the brace and side workouts are precautionary.
- Darryl Sharpton is back and looks great. It seems like the Texans shot him out of a cannon on the field. He delivered the hardest hit of the day to UDFA running back Cierre Wood.
- Andre Johnson made the play of the day. He somehow caught a ball in the back of the end zone around Shilo Keo and Johnathan Joseph and got his feet in.
- Lestar Jean made a circus catch near the sideline with Jackson on him.
- Jackson provided some excellent coverage to knock a ball away from Hopkins in the corner of the end zone on a nice pass from Schaub. Hopkins almost pulled it in, though. For a split-second, it looked like Hopkins had the ball pinned on Jackson’s helmet.
- Roc Carmichael had a really nice day, breaking up two passes intended for Johnson.
- Chris Jones worked at defensive end again. Defensive line coach Bill Kollar said he likes to have his guys learn all the positions on the line for depth purposes. Jones is fighting for the backup NT spot with Terrell McClain.
- Shane Lechler is amazing to watch. He was punting the ball around 70 yards on Monday.