Reed leaves Reliant without a deal

Reed leaves Reliant without a deal
March 15, 2013, 3:00 pm
Share This Post

Exclusive: Reed talks about the Texans

Ed Reed has left the building.

Without a deal.

Reed, who was picked up by Texans’ general manager Rick Smith on owner Bob McNair’s private jet on Thursday morning spent the last two days meeting with Texans’ front office members and coaches.

But Reed left Reliant Stadium on Friday without a deal in place. Reed’s leaving without a deal doesn’t mean one won’t get done. The two sides will continue talking and sources tell Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson that there's still a good chance the Texans sign Reed.

“I always told 'Dre, I always have a great time when I come to Houston,” Reed said to CSNHouston on Thursday night. “Houston is like a home away from home.”

On Wednesday, the Texans lost out on Glover Quin as the former Texan safety signed a five-year deal to join the Lions. Reed would be his replacement.

But while the Texans have been wooing Reed, veteran safety options outside of him are starting to dwindle. The free agent safety class started off deep but has lost plenty of members over the first few days of free agency.

“Houston was the team that I looked at and felt like they were where we were in Baltimore years ago and right there on the brink,” Reed said. “And if you were to play with anybody, you would want to play with one of your brothers that you fought with before. And 'Dre is definitely like a younger brother. And if I was to go and get a ring with anybody, outside of Reggie Wayne or Frank Gore, it would be Andre Johnson.”

Johnson and Reed, along with Chris Myers and others, went out to dinner late on Thursday night. Johnson is good friends with Reed and has stayed in constant contact. They have talked about the possibility of playing together over the years. Johnson, who was Reed's teammate at the University of Miami, said on Friday that he thinks a deal with Reed will get done.

When asked about a return to Baltimore, Reed didn’t rule it out on Thursday night but did seem disappointed in the way the team has handled its business during the free agency period.

“I'm grateful for the time (in Baltimore) and you don't know what's going to happen,” Reed said, “because this is just a visit but I know what I've been discussing (in Houston) with the coaches and with the owner and the GM so it's been a great trip and once we see what happens, it'll be another interview we're going or it won't and we'll go from there.”

Reed, 34, is coming off his first Super Bowl victory and is a nine-time Pro Bowler and an eight-time All-Pro. The future Hall of Famer has spent his entire 11-year career with the Ravens after they took him with the 24th pick in the 2002 draft. Reed will turn 35 in September.

Reed has had hip and neck injuries in recent seasons but played all 16 games last year. He's only missed time in three of his 11 years in the league.

He was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2004 and is the NFL's active leader in interceptions with 61. His 1,541 interceptions return yards rank first all-time.

During the NFL's three-day legal tampering period, Reed wasn't able to speak with teams because he didn't have an agent. He has since hired California-based David Dunn of Athletes First. Dunn also represents Matt Schaub and recently released Kevin Walter.