3 and Out: Tuesday injury update
Pro Bowl left guard Wade Smith left practice early on Tuesday after he banged his knee. Brandon Harris also left early with a sore groin.
UPDATE: Smith has a bone bruise. Harris has a hip flexor (see more).
Brice McCain went down to the ground in 7-on-7s but re-entered practice and said everything was fine.
While some guys got banged up, the Texans started to get some of their linebackers back on the field Tuesday.
After starting camp on the Non-Football Injury list for reporting out of shape, Sam Montgomery hurt his ankle and has missed most of camp. On Tuesday, he was back at practice but wasn't a full participant.
Tim Dobbins, who hurt his shoulder on Monday, didn't practice Tuesday.
Brooks Reed, who was held out on Monday after banging knees with Owen Daniels on Sunday, practiced Tuesday morning. Reed says he'll be fine for Friday's game but isn't sure how much he'll play.
J.J. Watt worked during team drills after he missed some team drills the last two days after feeling some soreness in his elbow.
Arian Foster (calf, back) and Ben Tate (groin) were both still out of practice. Kubiak was impressed by Foster’s workout on the side and thinks Tate could be back on Wednesday. With both running backs dealing with injuries, Dennis Johnson and Cierre Wood will likely get a lot of reps during the first preseason game on Friday.
"As far as Arian goes," Kubiak said, "the biggest thing with him is we’ve got to get him back and involved with the process. You’re watching Cush go through it and everybody’s got to go through that process to get ready to play. The quicker we get him back, the better. I know that he worked good today, but we haven’t had some goal of Friday or nothing like that right now. We’re just trying to get him where we get him back involved in the program and start getting him ready to go.”
Also still out of practice were Alan Bonner, Brennan Williams, Cameron Collins, Whitney Mercilus, Evan Frierson, DeVier Posey and Ed Reed.
McCain all the way back
McCain, who took a spill on Tuesday but was OK, missed the end of last season after breaking his foot on Dec. 2.
He needed surgery to heal the foot. That surgery entailed a screw being inserted into his left foot.
During OTAs this spring, McCain was feeling better but wasn’t 100 percent. He was working with the team but had time off to rest too. He was also getting his foot iced and massaged regularly.
Not anymore. Now, he’s completely healthy.
“I feel good. I feel 100 percent,” McCain said. “Got my feet back under me. Got my legs back under me. I feel great.”
McCain, who is one of the better Nickel corners in the league, has high expectations for his secondary unit this season.
“We pretty good,” McCain said. “When (Reed) comes back, we’ll be even better.”
- Andre Johnson had a nice leaping catch from Matt Schaub during 7-on-7s early in the day.
- Tim Jamison had a good play on defense, getting his hand up to bat a pass at the line of scrimmage.
- During pass rush drills, Watt again went at it with Brandon Brooks with mixed results. We’ll call it a draw on Tuesday. Daniel Muir has a nice spin move.
- But overall, the offensive line outperformed the defensive line in the drill on Tuesday morning.
- Stephen McGee looked really good during 7-on-7s, for what it’s worth. McGee doesn’t have much of a shot to make the roster but if he gets some snaps in the games, he might be able to show another team his worth. He's behind Schaub, T.J. Yates and Case Keenum.