Martinez silent after he's linked to PEDs

Martinez silent after he's linked to PEDs
February 20, 2013, 4:45 pm
Share This Post

Astros' outfielder Fernando Martinez declined to comment after being implicated in the growing investigation surrounding Miami based clinic Biogenesis and performance enhancing drugs.

Martinez was among several players in an ESPN “Oustide the Lines” broadcast that implicated several more Major and Minor League players as being clients of Biogenesis. The documents that have Martinez’s name on it indicate he received PEDs. The “Outside the Lines” report also said that his name on the documents was not proof that Martinez ever received or used PEDs.

Last year was Martinez’ first year with the Astros. He hit .237 in 41 games, with six home runs and 14 RBIs.

"His agent gave him a call, and once the information came down, we felt the need to bring him in and make sure that he understood his name was implicated,” Astros' manager Bo Porter told MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart Wednesday. “But we're not going to make any comments until we have concrete information." 

More Team Talk