Astros respond to Deadspin leaks

Astros respond to Deadspin leaks
June 30, 2014, 6:00 pm
Share This Post
(Troy Taormina - USA Today Sports Images)

The Astros have issued a statement to the trade talk leaks reported by Deadspin on Monday.

Deadspin had come out with an article based on hacked material posted anonymously online at Anonbin. The article included typical trade chatter over a 10-month period between the Astros and other major league baseball teams about players, some of which are still on the roster.

The Astros released the following statement in response to the article:

“Last month, we were made aware that proprietary information held on Astros’ servers and in Astros’ applications had been illegally obtained. Upon learning of the security breach, we immediately notified MLB security who, in turn, notified the FBI. Since that time, we have been working closely with MLB security and the FBI to the determine the party, or parties, responsible. This information was illegally obtained and published, and we intend to prosecute those involved to the fullest extent.

“It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that an outside source has illegally obtained confidential information. While it does appear that some of the content released was based on trade conversations, a portion of the material was embellished or completely fabricated.”

Jeff Luhnow spoke to the media on Monday to add to the above statement. He said the Astros had thought the security in place was sufficient, but that obviously, it wasn't.

"We're doing everything we can to upgrade our security so that it doesn't happen again," he said. "We've been working on that since we discovered this, but it's unfortunate that it's out there and it's unfortunate that other teams are affected and individual players. It's a reflection of the age that we live in. People are always trying to steal information, get information, whether it's legally or illegally. In this case, it was illegally obtained and it's unfortunate."

About those other teams and players revealed in the article, Luhnow had some work to do to reach out to all of them.

"When you have a conversation with another team, it's a conversation between two individuals or two clubs," Luhnow said. "It's not meant to be shared with the world. So I feel bad about that. I've been on the phone with other teams, expressed my apologies, let them know what happened, and that's about all I can do at this point.

"In general, they're understanding and supportive," Luhnow added on those teams' reactions. "But I'm sure they're not happy that, whether they're real or not, the conversations referencing their team and their players were referenced."

Luhnow did make the players aware of what to expect as one of the topics of the day.

"I've talked to the players that are here and I think they understand what happened," Luhnow said. "The reality is that a lot of players are discussed all the time and it's part of the nature of our industry. It doesn't mean that things happen all the time in regard to those players. It doesn't mean that we don't want or value those players, but it's checking to see what's out there, if you can move a player, what you can get back. I mean, those conversations happen all the time. They just don't get documented or get published."

In the meantime, until the security completes its upgrade, Luhnow is going back to more old-school methods of doing his job.

"Today, I used pencil and paper in all my conversations," he said. "You have to think about it. It's the double-edged sword of technology. It makes things easier, but if things like this are capable of happening, it's definitely a risk that every team should probably think about now in light of this happening to us."

More Team Talk